Sunday, December 25, 2005

Forget Unconventional!!!

Try NO Christmas celebration! That's right...we did not celebrate at all today!! We slept in, had a late breakfast, dragged the tree up the stairs and 'attempted' to set it up....with minimal success I might add. The mantel is decorated with the nutcrackers we've collected over the years. One small tree is standing behind a french door so that the lights may be viewed from the front porch. Miscellaneous decorations are scattered about the house. 'It's beginning to look'...haha....ya...that.....

My daughter could not make it home. She was left alone in the home of the couple who have given her a place to stay until she finds her own place to live in Nashville. They have relatives in our homestate of Mississippi, so they left a couple of days ago, before they learned of my daughter's visit to the emergency room. They went thinking she'd be driving here for the holidays! Because she is experiencing dizziness, she was advised not to drive, and it was a bit too late to obtain an airplane ticket for a reasonable fare.

Soooo...the person she is living with drove five hours back from Mississippi to gather her up to take her back with him for Christmas. The return trip was lengthened by an hour and a half due to a traffic accident in Memphis. This means the round trip for him was over 12 hours, not to mention the five or so hours he'd driven the night before to get there in the first place.

Tonight she is yet another hour away from the couple who took her there....My parents drove over to pick her up to join their celebration which has been delayed until tomorrow when all my sisters who are in town could gather to join them.

My son, his girlfriend and I postphoned 'our' celebration thinking my daughter may arrive here in Virginia eventually....but in the event this may 'not' happen...we are going to consider celebrating tomorrow....In other words, I am going to wrap the gifts tonight with this in mind. We'll shop for groceries tomorrow and begin cooking. My daughter advised that she may be arriving on Wednesday, but as I stated already, we are not counting on that...

I've never felt more numb in my life....I am devoid of feeling....it's a bit much to take in....I never expected to be in this place at this most 'traditional' time of year...I love holidays...I love decorating....I love having the family gather in....I loved it all before...tonight I feel emptied out...for many reasons...

We went out to eat with some of my son's friends last night, and I listened in on conversations floating around the room...I'm thinking people in general seem to have lost the Christmas spirit....nothing seems to be the same anywhere....I don't believe it's just me. One of my son's friends commented that he rather liked it this way....he is not religious, but he said (kind of tongue-in-cheek) that he felt the spirit should be shared 365 days a year....not just on this particular day. I, for one, feel I accomplish this. I like to think of myself as a very giving person....sometimes to a fault....but well....it makes me feel good, and perhaps this is what I need to remember today. It's just another day this time...and maybe that is not altogether a bad thing....


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home