Saturday, December 17, 2005

My Feathered Friends...

There are crows on my deck. In fact, one of them gives me a wake-up call each morning like clockwork, seven a.mish every day, by tap-tapping on the window pane that is high above my family room with a ceiling that is two stories. As mindless as it sounds, I refer to 'him' as 'Tapper'...the title seems appropriate. I've captured photos of him perched on the ledge as he gazes in to let me know he is there. (*Note to self*...find a pic of 'Tapper' to post in blog.)



I've learned a good deal about crows since they first showed up. I have a friend who owns an African Crow, and he suggested a book to use as a reference for understanding the nature of crows: _Mind of the Raven_ by Bernd Heinrich. It has provided an education of sorts. My friend also shared what he has learned about crows as well. Seems the crow is a most fascinating bird...actually very intelligent.




Crows/ravens generally travel in pairs within a group. I've learned that they lead animals, such as wolves, to their prey, so they may partake in the leftovers. Some of the tales of crows signifying/warning of 'death' sprang from this activity. The fear that crows will pluck a person's eyes out correlates with the fact that they do feed upon the soft organs of a carcass...including the eyes. To my knowledge, they do not attack a live person in the feared manner.

My crows began visiting when I placed leftover food on the deck. The tapping became a reminder to leave more food, it seems. But I've also learned that they like to make their presence known in general...they want you to know they are there, plus they like to know where you are as well. If you go out to approach them, they fly away at first, but eventually come close...gradually they allow you to get closer and closer, and begin to converse with you. My friend's bird, 'Hoppy', mimics a human voice. In fact, he sounds exactly like the person he is immitating. I wonder if my crows will try to mimic me if I talk to them? I have taken to speaking to them whenever they are near.

I've observed them circling above me whenever I am outdoors, and I swear, I believe they have followed my car when I travel short distances from the house. Maybe it's a coincidence, it appears crows are everywhere, but I became aware of them while away from home, because they were making quite a fuss, which alerted me of their presence.....I have afterall, become their food source. I suppose they are protective of this? I'm told they will leave gifts of gratitude, such as shiny tin foil or the like, after they have been cared for. It's all very fascinating.

For the past few days, they have waited to feed after they see me in the kitchen...so typically we are having breakfast together. We see one another through a window from the kitchen that looks out over the deck. I can also view them from my family room, where they land on the window sill to tap their arrival. It's intriguing, and I do feel we have developed a special relationship. They are showing themselves to my occasional visitors too. They keep us rather entertained.

Mind you, I'm no expert in this arena. I am just sharing what I've observed from my close encounters, and what I've learned about them from other's stories, along with some information I've acquired from the book mentioned. I'm curious to know if others have had similar experiences with my feathered friends?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home