Wednesday, December 28, 2005

BIG SIGH!!!

While blogging the previous post, I saw a pop-up in the right corner of my screen flashing the news that I had a new e-mail in 'Yahoo! Mail'. I noticed it was from my cousin who posts in our high school 'yahoogroups'...a bulletin board where my classmates keep up with one another. Because she lives in our hometown, my cousin generally shares the latest events happening there, typically who is sick and unfortunately who has died, etc. So I've come to expect tragic news whenever she posts...just seems to go that way. I noted that the subject was the name of her ex-husband, father of her daughter whom I've grown close to over the years. I feared there was bad news. And I was correct.

I took my time navigating away from here to there....I did not want to know, really...this guy is my age....he and I have some history...I rather liked him, despite the fact he and my cousin divorced. He and I managed to stay close enough over time. I did not want to find out what happened to him. My mind was racing....perhaps a car accident? A heart attack? What could it be..could he be gone? I really did not want to know....sigh...this is all the e-mail said:

"My daughter called me at 7:00 this morning and said her daddy died last night. Jan found him in his office unresponsive."

There..I read it...I'm numb...people my age are not supposed to die. I know I am no 'spring chicken'...but I still remember him as my classmate, my cousin's boyfriend, her husband, father of her firstborn. I (far left) was in their wedding, drove for hours after their daughter was born to see her for the first time. I saw him not long ago at a class reunion. We hugged and vowed to remain friends in the aftermath of divorce, because we both love his daughter dearly. And the truth is, I really liked him anyway. Now this...I was not ready for this to become part of my experience of him at this stage in life. It seems there is so much more to live...

(*Note* to Di...No regrets....live each day as if it would be your last!!)
:((

*Footnote* Ironically, this caption was placed beside his photo in our yearbook: "Don't put off 'til tomorrow what can possibly be done the day after."

Take heed!! :((

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home