Thursday, August 31, 2006

Happy Birth Day to Me!!!

On this day, twenty-six years ago, I gave birth to a 9 pound 5 ounces, twenty-two inches long son. I've kept a journal written to him from early in my pregnancy. I've continued to keep it over the span of his lifetime. It still belongs to me, and until I die, I suppose, or there becomes another reason to turn it over to him, I will keep it.

There I have chronicled his 'firsts'.... day at home, sounds, smile, successful sleep through the night, recognition of a voice or a face, rolling over on the bed (and sometimes falling off), word, illness, step, fall, bump or scrap, playmate, toy, blanket, favorite song or book, outing, potty seat, separation from mom, day at 'Mom's Day Out', stay at grandparents, sadness or disappointment, recognition of self in the mirror, babysitter, tricycle, the list goes on and on right up until his first day of kindergarten and eventually high school graduation, first job, dream, hope, emerging talent, kiss, heartbreak, girlfriend, car, move from home.

It contains random letters from his dad, words of wisdom and love and appreciation for the roles we've played in his life and he in ours, and our wishes for his well-being and happiness, strength and success in life. It's a memory book and a book of our hopes for his future, our gratitude for every moment we've known him.

Today I will add a new post to the journal in celebration of his birth. Though separated by hundreds of miles, I will keep my child close in heart this way. I will look forward to the day he can visit to read and share this moment with me. I will recall his first birthday, and in his absence an echo will be heard through the stillness of the empty house, as I quietly hum....'Happy Birth Day to Me'... .

I love you, Will!!! I hope you have a great birthday, wherever you are!!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Forgive me for not knowing the story, perhaps no one knows, but I presume that they do. Either way, this post melted my soul and quickened my breath.

Happy Birthday, Will. Wherever you are.

1:34 PM  
Blogger slobber said...

a happy belated birthday.

now i know why i am keeping a blog on the kids only these days.

7:21 PM  
Blogger Di said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:36 AM  
Blogger Di said...

I realize that most of my posts make sense ONLY to me....well, maybe....sometimes I'm not sure I even know what I'm talking about...it was my son's birthday, and he is miles from home, so I was just reflecting and missing having him here for his b'day. I have kept a journal written specifically to him...and that is what I was referring to in the post...ha....I'm not even sure THIS makes sense!! Ha!!!

Kids ARE a handful, huh, A?! And no matter their ages...they are always our 'kids'!!!! You may not wanna read ahead to see what 'boo boos' replace the small ones!!! It's all part of the 'human experience', I suppose!!!!!!

I hope all is well with all of you!! :))

9:38 AM  
Blogger William Sellari said...

Well, I'm here. At the house.
I love you mom.

2:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home