Saturday, April 15, 2006

There was a moment.....the room went grey...

...I didn't experience a 'light at the end of the tunnel' exactly, but I do feel that I had as close to a 'near-death experience' as I care to.

For those who keep up with me enough to realize I was absent for a few days, I want to share this with you. Yet today, I don't have the words to explain it. Perhaps I have not had enough time to absorb it all. I'm feeling rather weary in the aftermath of the ordeal just now. For once, I am silenced by the stark reality I've faced. My body is tired and aching...my mind is shutdown a bit...maybe because there is too much to take in all at once. So I will go with that feeling and not force myself to share just now.

I will share that I was in the hospital, by way of an ambulance to the emergency room (a first for me), Wednesday through Friday. On Thursday, I received a dose of medication as part of the treatment to convert my heart from irregular rhythm to normal/sinus rhythm. Apparently, the dose was too large for my body to tolerate, so my blood pressure dropped extremely low requiring a team of doctors, nurses, and other hospital personnel to keep it from bottoming out. Fortunately, they were successful.

Depending on who you ask and what their position was in my treatment/care, there were varying stories to explain what happened. I've gone over and over it with the hospital staff and the cardiologist, as well as in my own mind, and will save the details until later.

'Good news is I am here to tell the story. Eventually, I will. I had a rather frightening and painful experience, however, and I will leave it behind with the wish that when it IS my time to exit, I will do so in my sleep.

4 Comments:

Blogger Greybeard said...

You've probably seen the statistics that I've had forwarded to me a few times, comparing gun statistics with Doctors?

Scary.

Moral: Stay away from hospitals.
There are people there that will make you sick.

I'm mighty glad you survived the experience!

6:56 PM  
Blogger Di said...

Thank you, Greybeard!! It was scary, and I'm happy I survived it too!! It's good to be back, and believe me...the hospital will be the last place I elect to go to in the future!!

2:20 AM  
Blogger slobber said...

good gracious!! what precautions are they telling you to take?

now that is an incredible weekend adventure!

10:27 AM  
Blogger Di said...

Precautions?!?! With permission from my cardiologist, who now understands just how 'drug sensitive' I am, I will not follow up with a drug thinner. I used one the first time I had an a/fib, and hemmorhaged enough to make this side effect seem worse than the benefits....kind of like the attempt to convert my heart with the help of a beta blocker. Mind you, I'm not knocking the necessity and help such drugs are to those who benefit from them, I just think that with my experiences, I am fortunate enough at the moment, to convert without them and will continue to do so until that is no longer an option. A baby aspirin a day for me for now!! :))

In the future, I know that I have the option of waiting out the a/fib a couple of days, to see if I convert back on my own, before I follow directions to go to the hospital, where it seems you WILL be pumped full of drugs, whether you need them or not. Again, I am not suggesting all patients with this disorder do as I say...I just know this may work for me, and was an option offered, and one I will choose.

Ya...it was quite an adventure!!! I certainly learned a lot in the process. I won't take feeling well for granted ever again!! Losing that feeling is devastating when you think you're at the end of it all. I'm grateful I have an opportunity to appreciate my good health now more than ever. :))

5:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home