Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Something Tells Me......

I just read an e-mail from someone which left me with the thought that this person does not like to be alone. I used to think perhaps I was one of those people. (Heck, I'd been married so long that I never imgined I'd find myself alone again.) But today I don't think I am a person who must have another in her life. I don't know if that's a good thing or not, it just is what it is.

I moved on to the next e-mail addy to see what was there. I typically scour the news headlines on the homepage first. If I find something interesting, I skim over it and maybe even pass it along to a friend. This is what I found today, and I think it's worth going back to read in its entirety. I've also thought of myself as a 'conditioned' negative person, though I always 'hoped' I was not. Many of my friends do not see me that way, some do, others are just indifferent. I know I try NOT to be, but perhaps my efforts fall short.

I've not read the entire article, but I believe this one will be worth reading. The word that leaped out at me was 'honesty'. I used to put a lot of stock in that word. I've learned that there is a difference between someone saying they are 'honest' versus actually telling the 'truth'. Many thoughts are shared as a person's 'honest opinion', but often it's only that--an 'honest opinion', which is often NOT the same as sharing the 'truth'. They may truthfully believe that their honest opinion is valid, but the truth may be that it is just an opinion, possibly not founded in truth at all. So much in life becomes jumbled when one cannot distinguish between the two. Real deception or, at the very least, a misdirection/misunderstanding can take place when this occurs. An honest opinion can certainly be false, even far from the truth.

I have friends like the one in the article, who make a habit of giving out 'quasi-compliments' or remarks appearing to be helpful, informative, etc., when in fact, they are catty, hurtful, very critical and undermining. I feel zapped/stung by these types of exchanges as well as speechless and disabled when dealing with someone acting in this manner. While I may be 'Miss Doom and Gloom' at times, I make it a habit to avoid stinging and mean spirited remarks masked as a compliment. If I'm being mean or sarcastic in an argument, for example, there is no doubt it was my intent to take a jab, and even then I'm not pleased when I've stooped so low.

Wow...now I get an IM from a guy (I've not talked to him in ages--you'll see why) who has used what I consider to be every tactic in the book to justify his flirtatious behavior as a married man. Ha!!! Now he's telling me that he and his wife have decided to have an 'open marriage'--one where they are 'free to have sex with others' but 'with the 'consent of one another'. Sheesh!!!!! WHY be married?!?! There is NO need attempting an exchange with this person or those like him. Their only goal is to have you participate in their lewd conversation. Having you share your own TRUE thoughts and feelings it not their desire.

I find myself asking, 'Why do I come online?' Perhaps what I find here is a snippet of the real world in a nutshell--the stuff that soap operas are made of-- deception and cattiness, sexual perversion (redundant?), the chase--the list is endless. Maybe I just think my real life is boring.

Today, I've changed my mind. I'm going to go out and make of it what _I_ want it to be!! Something tells me that's going to be good!!! Oh, that gives me a theme song for the day (Allie McBeal like, remember?). I'll leave you with it because it conveys just the energy I want to carry into my day (Mary Tyler Moore comes to mind, ha!). Go out and have a good day yourself!!! :)) I'm gone--I DO have plans for today AND tomorrow. Thank 'God', I need an escape!!!!!!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home