Tuesday, March 25, 2008

'Oh, I get by with a little help from my friends'.......

I know I've borrowed that line before, and it's a good one, imo. I did a little surfing this morning. I'm glad I did. It seems my friends are also thinking about some of the same issues that I have been pondering. Maybe I'm just shocked because I'm experiencing the sting of racism directed at me for the first time in my life. I'm not unfamiliar with being treated unfairly--I AM female, and unfortunately, I've met far too many males who have shown great gender bias. In fact, I believe the 'so-called friend' has shown that as well. It is very disturbing. I'm being challenged to dig deep into my own soul and to examine my own prejudices. I want to think I would not be so insensitive, and I hope I'm not being hypocritical. I will do all that I can to be honest with myself about this. I am, afterall, the only person I can change. Maybe I just need to examine the friends I have chosen and reconsider?!

I may be one of a small number of people who found the Wayne County (Detroit) prosecutor, Kym Worthy's speech to be worthwhile. Maybe others have a better understanding of the 'civics lesson' she wove into her speech than I do without having to hear it from her. Maybe it's not that I didn't understand before, but that I appreciated hearing it stated so precisely. I lived for years with a liar, much like the 'good mayor'. I've heard the excuses and the apologies and was told repeatedly that I was the problem--the reason he cheated. Maybe hearing someone address the issue in simple terms was good for my soul. Maybe the words address, also, why I am still so enraged with my friend for his slurs. I've heard them all my life from various people in one form or another in a myriad of circumstances. I worry that we, as a nation, have not progressed--perhaps we've just found elaborate excuses for what we do, or we are generally more accepting of such misconduct. Maybe we don't value morals. Maybe we don't appreciate the meaning of respect.

One of the newscasters at CNN offered commentary as Ms. Worthy gave her live speech. He was apologizing for her 'civics lesson' and for the fact that we had to wait for her to finish it before we could just hear the allegations. I should not be surprised--typically the news is not about seeking truth and the value of the law as much as it is about exploitation--just give us the goods you have on someone--that is what they want to report--the dirt!!!

If I am the only person who found value in what she had to say, whether she was sincere or not, and regardless of how 'condescending' or unnecessary as it may have sounded, then so be it. I think these words are worth remembering:

"You know, the fundamental principles of the justice system are fairly simple. We learned them as children. They aren't hard: tell the truth, take responsibility for your actions, admit when you're wrong, play fair and be fair, don't take or use things that aren't yours, and there are consequences for bad behavior. Even children understand that lying is wrong. "

Enough said.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home