Sunday, December 10, 2006

The kindness of 'strangers'.......

As many of you may know by now, my dad had quadruple bypass surgery which included a separate procedure to correct an atrial fibrillation. There were times in the past when I would take note of people online who, in the midst of what seemed to be the greatest crisis, found time to be online. I will admit, there were times I was skeptical about this behavior and wondered if their stories were true, and if so, why would they take time to share them online (I thought maybe they were people just desperate for attention, or people who didn't have anyone else in their lives to care about them). Now I understand.

First of all, it's grounding. My online time is part of my routine. Returning to this routine in my quiet time at the hospital was a great relief....it's the part of 'home' I could take with me and return to when I needed an escape. And it gave me a connection to the world outside of the experience inside the hospital. It provided me with friends offering encouragement and support at a time when my family needed it most. It was a source of great comfort.

I'm grateful for all your comments, e-mails, phone calls, prayers, and good wishes during this time. They truly sustained me through a challenging time in my life and that of my family, especially my dad. When he was feeling well enough, I distracted him with my blog and the pics I posted of him with my mom. I read to him the words left by all of you who took the time to care. He was touched and amazed.

I know people question why we post such personal information here for the world to see. I like to believe it brings us closer in this world when we find ways to share common feelings and experiences, even with 'strangers'....I think our world needs more of this. There is such a focus on all the horror and devastation in the world, why not share real-life experiences of trials and survival and caring and concern.

Many of you wrote about your own experiences with open-heart surgery. Your stories became a guideline. I was reassurred, rather than alarmed, when my dad manifested the same behaviors as those you all described. I appreciate the networking that took place. The best in all of us surfaced and provided comfort and reassurance that helped to get me through a challenging time. For that I am truly grateful, and I can't thank you enough.

1 Comments:

Blogger Northwoods Woman said...

And thank you dear, for sharing your life with us.

12:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home