Sunday, May 22, 2011

'I Got Here As Fast As I Could' continued...

In relationships, especially in the one I needed to experience with myself, 'I got here as fast as I could'. How liberating to borrow that line to put in perspective why it has felt impossible to make a lasting connection with another/others. I'd built the proverbial wall around myself, like so many of us do, because my fears led me to believe I had a reason to protect myself. Perhaps that was not such a bad thing. It protected others, as well, to some degree. But it also prevented me from connecting with people in a meaningful way. The people this hurt the most were my closest family and friends. Then there were always those people in the same boat as me, who were willing to hop right in and sink with me. It happens everyday in relationships. I truly hope to avoid making that mistake again in my life. This time around though, I won't avoid entirely. I will live with my mistakes, pay the price, and try again. Hopefully, I will do so fearlessly.

'I got here as fast as I could', and I like where I am today. Though I have so much more to gain on my personal journey in life, I hope to travel alongside my friends and family instead of isolating from them. I hope to bring something worthwhile to their lives. Instead of sharing only my woes, and in that way have the world revolve solely around me in my relationships with others, I hope to be present, as an equal, in giving and receiving...a true sharing, if you will.

Yep, I'm getting there as fast as I can. I heard something recently on an Oprah episode (yes, I watch a lot of TV these days) about a mom with breast cancer who left numerous video and audio tapes for her young daughter to make herself present to her child after she died and to share whatever she could in this way that was of importance to her. It sums up what I feel is significant in this journey of life. I'll paraphrase: 'I'm thankful for the journey not purchased but experienced and lived through love.' Oh that we all live our lives with that purpose...what a wise woman!! In order to share anything worthwhile with another, it is important to know yourself and to give freely what you've learned and experienced along the way that will enhance, not only your life, but the lives of all with whom you come in contact, especially your own family.

I thank God everyday for the gift of time and discovery and for those still present in my life...we've got so much to share in this journey...I can't wait!!! :))

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home