Saturday, October 15, 2011

I'm still here...

...with little to say though a lot has happened in the past few years. Perhaps checking in will provide the jumpstart I need to find my voice again. Hopefully, this time around I'll have a new approach!?!

On a sad note, though, this day began by putting down our cat, Clive. He was seventeen years old...amazing...and hung in there until we felt it was no longer humane to watch him struggle.

My daughter drove in to offer the support we all needed to make this painful decision...she's always been strong in that way, and I love and respect her dearly for this. She's the one who always delivers the caring and understanding necessary at times like this. She's the instinctual nurse/doctor...she's worked for several vets and has a natural ability to relate to those in need whether they be the two-legged variety or four...fish or fowl...she has the touch, the knack...the sensitivity and love that is so rare. I'm happy to report that she has gone back to school to obtain a degree in the medical field. The world will become a better place once she arrives on the scene armed with the education to back up her love and compassion for others in need. I look forward to following her journey in this endeavor!

I thank her for being with me today. She helped me face a painful decision and time, and I'm grateful that with her by my side, I was there for Clive through the final goodbye. He has been a faithful friend and family member...we will miss him more than words can convey! I'm glad he didn't suffer more than he could endure. May he rest in peace knowing he was loved and that he will reside in our hearts forever! When the sting of the experience has passed, perhaps I can say more about the joy he provided for so many years of our lives as a family!

His sister, Toby, is still with us, and Sarah plans to take her back to her house to lavish her with love and attention for the rest of her life. She has never been apart from Clive, and while we fear she is rather old for change...we felt the total change, which offers lots of attention, would be the best for her. She is diabetic and Sarah is so qualified and will be great in taking care of her special needs. Sarah so aptly stated today the significance of our responsibility to the pets we've domesticated. I trust my child completely with her wisdom in this realm.

I could never end this post without acknowledging our primary pet caretaker, Ken, who has spent the last several years living in my second home with our many pets. Because I've spent the last three plus years traveling, someone had to be there with the animals. That person was Ken, and he has provided them with the utmost care and love in the absence of family members who'd grown up and begun families of their own including pets of their own. Ken has provided care above and beyond what they needed...we all are most fortunate to have him care for them with such love and concern. He's not only fed and attended to their every needs...on numerous occasions he drove them to the vet, nurtured them in health and sickness, and cared for them in ways I cannot begin to describe. He was their nurse, companion, friend, and more. He sincerely loved them, and I know they loved him, too! We are blessed to have him in our lives, and so were the pets! It's a sad day, but we take pride in the fact that in our absence, Ken was there for us and for our pets...he has been a true friend in every sense of the word! Thank you, Ken...you have been a godsend!! Thank you for being there as we said goodbye to Clive today. Thank you for everything you've done for each of our pets over the years! It means more than you can imagine! We are eternally grateful!!

Hopefully, soon, we will celebrate the life of Clive and the many good times and memories we have of him. Perhaps I'll post photos in the near future!

Rest in peace, Clive...thank you for the joy of your presence in our lives! We love you today and always!! You will truly be missed! I hope you're romping peacefully with 'Puppy' and all the pets we've given up to the heavens!!!

1 Comments:

Blogger John Allred said...

Sorry for your loss, Diane. I know how it feels. If I'd had a blog when my Mookie died a couple of years ago, I'd have memorialized him, too. They're such a part of our lives!

2:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home