Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Words....

I was reading this morning and a particular passage from the book made me think of these songs for some reason. When I have no words of my own to express, I think it worthwhile to borrow from others for these words have inspired me over the years and feel like a part of who I am today.

I had the good fortune of seeing Harry Chapin in concert prior to his untimely death. He was just as you would imagine--he sat, bigger than life, on a small stage with his guitar. He sat very near the edge--so close we could almost touch him from our front row seats. The setting, and his presence, felt very personal and intimate-- just like most of the words to his songs. I suppose we all have moments in life that are attached to such beautiful lyrics.

I remember leaving the auditorium that evening stating that I could not wait to see him again sometime--it was definitely a concert to remember. Who knew that he was so near his departure from this earth?! (I can tell you exactly where I was and what I was doing when I heard the tragic news--he had become that real to me.) I am grateful for the few hours and space we shared in life and would like to use his song to remind us how fleeting life is and to encourage you to embrace every moment as if it could be your last!!

As I recall, Mr. Chapin invited the audience to sing along with him as he sang this song. I am certain he'd invite you to do the same today if he could.

Circle

All my life's a circle;
Sunrise and sundown;
Moon rolls thru the nighttime;
Till the daybreak comes around.
All my life's a circle;
But I can't tell you why;
Season's spinning round again;
The years keep rollin' by.

It seems like I've been here before;
I can't remember when;
But I have this funny feeling;
That we'll all be together again.
No straight lines make up my life;
And all my roads have bends;
There's no clear-cut beginnings;
And so far no dead-ends.

Chorus:

I found you a thousand times;
I guess you done the same;
But then we lose each other;
It's like a children's game;
As I find you here again;
A thought runs through my mind;
Our love is like a circle;
Let's go 'round one more time.

Chorus

By Harry Chapin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And then there were the Bee Gees or 'The Brothers Gibb'. I never got to see them in concert, but I can tell you there were many times and places when/where they were playing in the background of my life. Like Harry Chapin, they suffered loss early in life--losing both Andy and Maurice. I watched several videos recently on 'YouTube' of the Bee Gees performing the same songs with and without Maurice. It was very poignant to listen to the words and observe the difference in their demeanors while he was with them and then after he was gone. Again, a reminder to appreciate what we have while we have it--no regrets!!!

I hope these tunes will provide meaning for you today as they have for me.

Words

Smile an everlasting smile, a smile can bring you
Near to me.
Dont ever let me find you down, cause that would
Bring a tear to me.
This world has lost its glory, lets start a brand
New story now, my love.
Right now, there'll be no other time and I can show
You how, my love.

Talk in everlasting words, and dedicate them all to
Me.
And I will give you all my life, Im here if you
Should call to me.
You think that I dont even mean a single word I
Say.
Its only words, and words are all I have, to take
Your heart away.

By the Bee Gees

2 Comments:

Blogger sue said...

Well, I realize I'm dating myself here, but I also loved Harry Chapin and The Beegees. It was tragic they were lost to us too soon. Another one who always comes to mind who had such poignent songs and lyrics was Jim Croce. "Time in a Bottle"... he had several that choked me up when I heard he'd passed and left a small son and wife behind.

1:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That small child, A.J. Croce, is an accomplished pianist and singer in his own right now...if you've not heard him, you should look for some of his work and give a listen. I loved learning that he had followed in his father's footsteps, yet is doing his own unique thing!!

When I was in college, I had an opportunity to see Jim Croce in one of his last concerts but chose to attend another concert that was on campus which didn't require travel time....what a mistake!! It's one of those times I would definitely do differently if I could!!! (I saw Mac Davis instead, and even exchanged brief words with him--a story for another time--I was not a fan and after the encounter with him, I never will be!!) Yep, to this day, missing the Jim Croce concert is one of the great regrets in my life...okay...maybe not 'great', but indeed I do regret that I chose Mac over Jim!!! Sigh!! Such is life, huh?!?!

Another time, I skipped a concert to see Elton John during his 'Benny and the Jets' days...argh...I came to regret that also, but in that situation, I had a good reason to forego the concert, so I suppose I must accept that loss. I did see him a few years back as my way of making up for the one I'd missed so many years before!!

When we're young, I suppose we think there is always time...that there will always be another opportunity...sometimes there is...sometimes not....irony huh?!?!?!

10:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home