Saturday, August 04, 2007

Human Rescue (Name your location)!!

I have difficulty falling asleep at night, so for many years I've used the television as a distraction so that I'm not just lying awake focused on the fact that I cannot fall alseep! I have a TV in my bedroom for this reason, though many nights I never make it from the sofa to the bed when I'm not in the bedroom. Last night was one of those nights. This means that when I wake up in the morning the television is still on and at whatever channel I surfed to last before drifting off.

A few years back my daughter, who loves and often rescues animals, introduced me to the 'Animal Planet' network. In fact, she first discovered Steve Irwin while watching this programming--I remember her call so well from her college dorm room while she sat mezmorized at his antics! Anyway, another more recent favorite series of hers is 'Animal Rescue' (aired from whatever location that is being featured--which is part of the title of each episode). From time to time as I surf late at night, I stop at this channel for old time's sake which I did last night. This morning when I awoke an episode of 'Animal Rescue Houston' was on the screen, so I watched the remainder of the show. (**
I stand corrected here--in finding the links for the program, I discovered the actual title is 'Animal Cops Houston'. For gravity, though, I will leave the title as I've used it since it helps to create my story. It seems the premise is actually to prevent (I suppose through education, but the animals featured are truly 'rescue' because they have already been abused) animal cruelty and to highlight the heroes who rescue the unfortunate animals. That is a more positive focus and one to bear in mind as you read on.)

The premise of the program involves the ASPCA going into situations where animals have been abused, neglected, or abandoned to rescue and rehabilitate them, generally through immediate healthcare, followed by placement with foster 'parents'/owners and later permanent ones. The animals are discovered by the 'cops' through reports from neighbors, sometimes from the pet owners themselves who realize they have too many pets and/or can no longer care for them for various reasons, or while just routinely cruising neighborhoods. If the abuse is serious enough, the responsible party is arrested and sent before a judge for due punishment for animal cruelty, etc.

In this particular episode a Shizu dog was rescued that weighed only nine pounds once the rescue team removed over four pounds of matted hair, meaning the poor little dog was carrying half its weight in tangled nasty hair. A flea colllar was found buried in its neck after some of the fur was removed. Heck, the DOG itself was found under all that stuff!! I can't describe how horrendous this looked--like a dirty furry coat of armor (still more like a weight)--but trust me, it was not a pretty sight (speaking of sight--I don't believe the dog could see through all the tangle). This creature did not even resemble a dog. It was amazing how cute and loveable (at some point later) it appeared after the hair was removed (the hair actually stood on its own with the appearance of a coat, seriously, afterwards). Alas, this was not the only problem though. The dog had a case of heart worms which had begun to destroy it's heart and lungs. Its teeth were broken which led the veterinarian to believe it had tried to bite through some restraint or out of a holding area. Amazing!! Yet, the dog was resilient, and once treated was placed in a loving home to become the kind of pet all animals deserve to be.

Other stories involved litters of kittens that grew into numbers too great to count so the owner called for help, and a similar pack of dogs that had become too wild to handle, since this is what dogs become (a wild pack) when neglected and left on their own. Another story detailed the neglect and near starvation of a group of horses, including a foal, which was saved and given to a family with a little girl who 'always wanted her own horse'. She named the baby 'Stardust'. This episode included happy endings for all the animals, but oftentimes the neglect and abuse are so severe, the animals have to be put down. What a pity!

I got my African Grey Parrot after I was hospitalized for a problem with my heart (an atrial fribrillation/low blood pressure, etc.). If you recall from a previous post, I had an allergic reaction the the beta blocker I was given to convert my heart back to sinus rhythm, and this nearly killed me. My parrot, Kanoni, is fortunate to have an excellent veterinarian who attends to the needs of the animals at our local zoo. (I am very confident with the care they provide for all animals in this clinic.) I suppose my timneh is a bit of a rarity though. While I'm sure they see plenty of birds and other exotic animals, it is not the norm. Needless-to-say, the staff and the doctor are very good to her when she is in for a visit. They have called me at home numerous times after she has been ill or injured for an update or with instructions for continued care. I often comment to the vet how exceptional I find this care and concern to be and how I wish as much attention was given to human patients. Heck, after my hospital mishap, the cardiologists argued with me that I'd not had a drug reaction and that I should be happy to be alive. Ha!! I was, but no thanks to him! He certainly did not provide or offer any after-care. He was too busy thinking of himself while covering his own tracks.

I do have a point here, though, so I will attempt to make it. While watching the 'Animal Rescue/Cops' and thinking of the outstanding care given to these animals along with the care given to my pets when we visit with the doc, I reflected on the contrast of animal care versus people care. As I mentioned in the previous post (below), when I married I made and received the typical wedding vows promising to love, honor, and respect, to be there for the other for better or worse, in sickness and health, you know the routine. I meant the words I spoke and I honored them with faithfulness and devotion to my marriage. I know that we can make room in our hearts to love many others--having children provides evidence of this. But sometimes one can have too many 'pets' and eventually a decision made must be made--which 'pet' stays, which one goes.

My ex kept his latest 'pet' along with her 'litter' and ditched his family in the process. No one came and arrested him for 'human abandonment and neglect'. Sure, we went to court to battle over finances, but the courtroom, in the case of human lives, does not allow discussion of human abuse and mistreatment. The 'owner' of a marriage does not have to explain why he left the 'litter' he created to take care of someone else's litter. He does not have to answer to a judge to provide a reason for the trauma and hurt he bestowed upon his first family. He is not sentenced and sent to jail. He does not have to perform public service. He is free to do whatever he pleases, perhaps to abuse and neglect yet another 'litter'.

While, like so many pet owners, his intent may have been good, the outcome generally tells the story. A judge (nor society for that matter) does not seem to care about what happens to the millions of families left homeless, yet in this program today, the judge actually went to the rescue mission to observe the condition of the horses that were starving while supposedly in the care of their owner. No judge has come to my home to see how it is deterioriating from shabby craftsmanship that I cannot afford to repair, nor to see and compare the brand new home my ex has built for a woman and her 'litter' who is still married to another. If my kids are homeless, too bad!! Yet on the program today an appeal was made to the audience to send in just eighteen dollars a month to help with the rescue and care for these abused animals. Go figure. Where is there a cry for help for 'Human Rescue/Cops'?!

I know the argument will be made that humans, unlike animals, are capable of taking care of themselves. We can find our own jobs, generate our own income, and provide for ourselves. Maybe 'divorce' IS our rescue?! But when two people enter into an agreement and create a family in the process, why isn't the abuse, neglect, and ultimate abandonment taken as seriously as the mistreatment of animals by their owners? I don't get it, and I found this thought quite distrubing as I observed the rescue of these animals today.

Recently my daughter was diagnosed with sleep apnea (she has suggested that I have the tests myself given my eratic sleep patterns) which will require her to sleep connected to a positive airway pressure machine at night. She had surgery in May to correct sinus issues to see if this could help in the event of a blockage. She has endured in depth testing because she also has severe migraines and IBS/spastic colon, as do I. At some point she suffered from hemorrhaging. In additon she has serious acid reflux (this is from her father's side of the family). I am sure that stress is a factor that worsens all of these issues. The 'acid' of divorce sits in all of our stomachs, effects each of our hearts, and yet, I don't see anyone banging at my door wanting to rescue my 'litter'. We are left with the dirty tangle of armor we wear--no hero cop to question and arrest the perpetrator.

I wonder what Oprah or Dr. Phil could do with this one? Heck, I wonder what the ASPCA from 'Animal Rescue/Cops' on the 'Animal Planet' would do with this one? Won't anyone consider creating a 'Human Rescue/Cops' in the 'Human Planet'? So far, in my humble opinion, the services we have in place for people/human types of animals don't seem to be working. Do you realize the message we are left to digest? We are worth less than our pets!?!? Is this what we want to teach our children? Is this what we want for OUR world?

Personally, I hope for 'Human Planet Heroes' to surface and create a healthy balance!! I suppose this can begin with you and me?!? It's certainly something to think about!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home