Monday, July 09, 2007

Now and Then.....

I don't remember the exact year our friends, the Libassi family, moved to town. I'm not exactly sure how soon afterwards we met, but I know that we probably met at the baseball field. My then husband coached one of their two sons.

We immediately noted similiarities--Steve Libassi, the father, was a handsome, dark, Italian Catholic man married to a fair-haired, blue-eyed Protestant woman, Mary Sue. By appearances they were total opposites. The same could be said for my husband and me. He fit the same description as Steve, and I appeared much like Mary Sue (only my eyes are green--you get the point?!).

Steve and I seemed to hit it off as we sat together in the stands at game after game cheering our sons on throughout many baseball seasons. Steve and I always seem to be reading a new book that we sometimes brought along. He would check in with me to see what I was reading and vice versa. We enjoyed movies also and compared notes on the latest that we'd seen.

Mary Sue was brought up in a Methodist church, if memory serves me, and so they were looking for a church to attend in their new location. My husband and I had compromised on this issue since my family was Pentecostal and his Catholic. During a Boy Scout Sunday we attended with my son at a Methodist Church hosting the event, my husband decided he liked the minister and felt we should consider making the location our church home. It was indeed a compromise and a welcomed one for us. So after we learned about the Libassi's search for a church to attend, I'm sure we encouraged them to visit with us. Again, it may be that we met through the church and then on the ball field, but I think it was as I've stated already. Either way, we became their host family when they joined the church, and helped to introduce them to the congregation and the community.

We had some good times together, mostly through the ball team, and I remember having dinner (a fabulous lasagna prepared by Steve who loved to cook) in their home as well as attending a graduation party for the son who'd been on my husband's team. Later, Steve wrote a book about football and kicking techniques (Steve had been a kicker in high school/college, I believe) which he enlisted my son to help with since he was an art major in college. I'm not sure if the book was ever published, but I know it was a great experience for my son to work with him on this project. We didn't become as involved as I'd thought we might beyond these connections mentioned, but I always felt a closeness to them forever after.

I've just been reading an online blog written by Mary Sue. I'd discovered it less than a couple of years back, read it then, and stored it away. As I picked up where I'd left off before, I found myself overwhelmed with the life changes that have taken place with both of us. We are now both in similiar places again--both single, but for drastically different reasons. Amazing how our lives continue to parallel one another.

To be continued......

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

why do you keep us in suspense dear i would like to know the rest!!!!!

6:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home