Friday, October 10, 2008

Happy Birthday, E!!

Seven years ago on 9/11, I know exactly what I was doing. I was frantically attempting to catch a flight to Florida to be with my baby sister who had gone into premature labor (by 3 months or more) with her second child (third counting a previous miscarriage, which is why this one was even more important)! Alas, I could not understand why it was so difficult to book a flight until my then husband called to have me turn on the television for the explanation. You know the rest. Fortunately, the delivery was successfully delayed with medication and E did not arrive until September 23...still extremely early. At one point he weighed only one pound.


E and his family lived with me for a year from his first year to his second, so I developed a very close relationship to them. (He spent the month of July with me this past summer, so I have reminders of him all around the house again). He has a brother, S, who is six years older, whom I love equally. Their mom is my youngest sister and was born when I was a junior in high school. We have two sisters in between. She and I have had to develop a relationship on our own since we did not 'grow up together' in the same house. In some ways I feel this has made us closer because it feels like a more conscious choice/effort. I love her dearly, as I do all of my sisters and their children! My nieces and nephews are truly like my own kids.


So E recently celebrated his seventh birthday, and his mom posted these pics in another forum. I just had to borrow them for my blog. E is the nephew I referred to in the post below this one. To say he is genius is an understatement, and this is not just the feeling of a doting aunt. He is a miracle baby, but also an extremely gifted child. More on that later (I predict that someday the entire world will know his name). For now, I wanted to acknowledge his birthday with the photos his mom provided to remind us of how fortunate we are to have him! I love him with all my heart!!

E and his dad just a few days after his birth.

E and his dad a year later!

Now don't you just want to go give your kids a hug or place a phone call to the ones who've grown up!! :)) I know I do!!! :))



1 Comments:

Blogger Greybeard said...

We are, right now, dealing with a situation where a friend's water has broken... the baby is due in two months, and they are giving her Mag. Sulfate to try to keep the baby aboard. She's getting the best of medical care, so we are hopeful the baby, her first, will survive and thrive.
Your post is comforting. Thank you.

11:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home